Thursday, May 5, 2011

Apparently A Little Education On Canada Is Required...

Alright. For the sake of those who have never ventured to the Great White North before, I've decided some clarification about how we do things up here is necessary. There needs to be more of a mutual understanding of one another.



- Travel via dogsled...  While I'm sure there's somewhere you can do it in this vast country, it's definitely not the main source of transportation. Can you imagine how much dog poo would be around?? YUCK!!!

- The Queen isn't in charge of the country. Come to think of it... Is she even in charge of her OWN country??? haha.. I have no idea. All I know is that we have our own government. We have a Prime Minister who's in charge, not a President, even though it's basically the same thing... just a different term.

- While there are some different stores up here, we can't escape the world domination of Walmart. However, our Walmarts are not all open 24/7 and aren't even all Super Centers.

- We get the same movies in theaters that America gets. Thank goodness too, because we get some channels on cable TV from the States which means that they show American commercials. So if I was seeing movie trailers for movies I couldn't see.. I'd be upset...

- It does make me upset however, to watch the American commercials for food establishments just because it makes me jealous. For the most part Canada has the same restaurants, but there are some places there that we just don't have up here. Sonic is the first one that comes to mind. No happy hour for me... It also upsets me to see how cheap food is in America. The whole $5 footlong thing at Subway doesn't exist in Canada. Sigh... So I have to be extra careful when I see a commercial for a sweet deal at some food place to make sure it's a Canadian commercial.

- Snow does not magically appear once you cross the border. No, Canada is not one big white landmass.

- One thing that is true about Canada though is our love of Hockey. Everyone has their team and as we Edmontonians prove, even two years straight of our team, the Edmonton Oilers, ending up placing dead last in the NHL won't deter us from cheering for them... EVER.

- Not all Canadians use the term "eh" in a over repetitive and obnoxious way. Most of us don't even have discernable accents.

- Canada does have two official languages, English and French. Quite frankly though, I think that's dumb. The only people in Canada that speak French all the time are in Quebec, which in comparison to the rest of the country is small. But because of this singular part of Canada we ALL have to deal with French being on every single product label as well as all the signs in our National Parks. The National Park employees have to be bilingual too. Also, almost all French Canadians know English anyways, reaffirming my previous statement of the two official languages thing being dumb.

- Not all of our Police dress up like Mounties. Mounties are comparable to State Troopers and Sheriffs. Each city has their own Police force which is unassociated with the Mounties, and they don't have to dress up in the silly hats and puffy, red pants. Also, not all Mounties ride horses. They have cars too.

- Summer actually DOES exist in Canada. It's not very long, but it does get hot!

- We don't live in Igloos. I'm sure there are some people that build them WAAAAAAY up North to preserve their heritage but not to LIVE in. Canada as a whole is way beyond that. Our buildings are just the same as anywhere else in the continent.

 - There are slight differences in some word pronunciations... But it's kinda hard to write out how they sound different. Ask my husband, and he'll tell you. haha. There are a few different terms we use though. For instance, you say garbage disposal, we say garberator. Don't ask. That's just how things are up here.

- We don't hate America. I promise. We just like being Canadian.

I think that's a good start. If you have any other questions about life in Canada, ask me. I like proving that we Canadians are well integrated into modern society. haha... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment