Thursday, June 16, 2011

Let Me Explain

So I guess people are confused as to why I still have to be in Canada and Ray still has to be in Colorado. Makes sense... I haven't really explained that part so well. So this is what the deal is.

We're ALMOST finished with this silly immigration process. But that doesn't necessarily mean we knowWHEN it will be finished. At this point we're gathering some final paperwork to submit to the National Visa Center. Ray has to submit a form saying that he's making enough income and has enough assets to satisfy the US Government that I'm not gonna be their responsibility (ie. on welfare). Ray meets the requirements, so it's just a matter of gathering the papers to say so. He needs a letter from his employer stating his income, and he needs documentation of the the property he owns. He should be able to get all that together relatively soon.

Meanwhile, I have to collect my entire life's history and send that to the National Visa Center. So that means I have to submit my birth certificate, a police background check, marriage license, photos, passport photocopy, blah blah blah. I pretty much have all that together, so I just need to get that in the mail. Well.. Not the mail. Canada Post is on a full on strike so mail isn't getting delivered anywhere. Thank you Fed Ex/UPS/whoever's cheapest. Anyways... That's on my immediate to do list.

Once all the paperwork is received, I'll be contacted 6 weeks later and they'll schedule an interview that I have to go to at the US Consulate in Montreal. They need to interview me to make sure that our relationship is legit. That's right... I have to prove that I'm in love. It's not like the good ol days when you could move right on into the US if you married an American. Nope. Too many people have screwed with the system to have it be so simple. That and the whole 9/11 thing have made things a lot more complicated for people like me. But honestly. I couldn't be intimidating or suspicious even if I tried...

The unknown time factor is because we don't know how far in advanced the US Consulate books interviews. For all I know, it could be right away, or it could be months in advance. We'll find out when we get to that point I guess... I'm just hoping it'll all be done before Christmas.

Thankfully, Ray will be able to come up to Canada around my due date, and if all goes well he'll be here for the birth and for a little bit afterwards to give us all time to bond as a family. So as much as all this waiting sucks, at least we have the essentials covered... This baby needs his daddy and with hope, faith, and prayer, that'll happen ASAP.

So that's all.. I hope that clears things up for you!

3 comments:

  1. Because Montreal is the only place that does interview... It's silly, but that's how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with all that. It took Thomas quite awhile to get all that done. He's had his citizenship now for two or three years now though. The paperwork does suck though. Do you have to live in Colorado? it's so far away....

    ReplyDelete