Saturday, June 25, 2011

Awkward Situations

Normally I'm pretty good in social situations... but then there's some times when I just don't know what to do because there's one person there I don't know how to interact with. It's not that I have anything against this person at all. It's just that there's a significant history behind the two of us and it didn't really have a clean ending. The ending was necessary, but it just didn't happen under the best of terms. Now I'm over it, things have moved on and I hold no animosity whatsoever.

For the most part life moves on and nothing really happens to remind me of any of this. However, there are the odd occasions when I happen to be in the same place as this person. That in itself is perfectly fine by me. It just gets awkward because we have a bunch of mutual friends.

I was faced with this today. There were a couple of my friends at an event I was at and I was excited to see them, but they were already with this other person. I don't know how to handle situations like this. Do I just ignore everything and go join the group? I have no idea if that's even appropriate. On the one hand, I just don't wanna deal with any direct awkwardness, so I stay away. On the other hand, since I have no unresolved lingering issues, I think that it shouldn't be that big of a deal if I did walk over and join my friends even with they're already with this person. But I don't know how the other person feels and if there's any unresolved issues on that person's side. I don't wanna be responsible for stirring something up that doesn't need to be. It's that uncertainty that keeps me from confronting anything that could possibly resolve the awkwardness.

Really I think all of this is silly. I shouldn't feel restricted with who I talk to just because they're around someone else... I want all of this to go away. It's a huge elephant in the room, and I can't stand being in situations where that's the case. In my perfect world, I'd be able to talk to this person, tell them everything is okay and that I'm not angry and be able to go on with life normally. It's not that I want anything to be the way it was, but I at least want some level of normality when we just happen to be in the same place. None of this walking on eggshells business.

In the end, I still can't figure out how to confront any of this, so I don't. Things will continue to go on awkwardly, and I'll continue to pretend like I don't notice. I think it's dumb, but I don't know what else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment