Monday, June 18, 2012

Remembering Why

Recently my heart has been weighed down as I struggle to come to terms with the ways people choose to use their agency. This morning I read a particularly upsetting blog post a friend wrote and it just left me feeling... icky. I read it with the hopes of having a greater understanding of that person's choices, but instead it left me upset because of their misguided conclusions and distorted versions of Gospel truth.

 I recognize the right of each individual to choose their path in life. I don't want that to be misunderstood. It just hurts my heart to see someone take something so precious and marvelous as the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Atonement and treat it as if it is so insignificant. I know I can't change those people, and I don't feel as if I try. It is simply counter productive to try for force and logic someone into thinking another way. All I can do is bear testimony of what I know and hope that the Spirit bears the truth of it to their heart. I learned quickly on my mission that arguing about gospel topics gets you nowhere.

In an attempt to rid myself of this icky feeling, I went to lds.org to find something uplifting. I stumbled upon a page that gave me a bit more clarity and helped me sort out my own thoughts.




“While understanding the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the ‘why,’” President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency said.
When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet.”
This is why my heart hurts so bad to see others make decisions that lead them away from the the Gospel and away from Jesus Christ.

The WHY is what drives me. It isn't my callings (because if it was believe me, right now I'd be finding every excuse in the book to not go), it isn't how things are run, and it isn't even because of the Church leaders that keeps me coming back to Church.

I taught my Primary class full of 5 year olds a lesson yesterday about how they are all sheep in Jesus' fold. It was an abnormally successful lesson and I feel as if the point of the lesson actually came across to them. They understood that Christ cares about each of them as well as the other kids who weren't there that day. They left excited to show their parents the picture of the lamb they were each given with their name written on it and that they were a sheep in Jesus' fold.



No wonder why the scriptures say to have faith like a little child. 

I wish I had all the answers and that magically the people in the Church would stop being dumb and letting the 'what' and the 'how' of the Gospel dictate their feelings of it's truth, but I know that's not possible for me alone to do. Good thing we have living Prophets and Apostles to get the message out to the masses. Really... The solution is for each member to REMEMBER THE WHY of the Gospel, just like President Uchtdorf said.



I know that Christ is my Savior and I know that peace comes through Him. I am not perfect, but I know that Christ understands that and loves me still. I know that His Church is restored today and lead by a Prophet and Apostles whom He called. As we listen to them, we are hearing the words Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to hear. We are given responsibilities in the Church to learn and grow. The Atonement is real. Christ suffered more than anyone can comprehend. Because of that I know that He understands how I feel in any situation. As I pray and ask for help with faith, it is given to me and my burdens are lightened. I don't know how it works. I just know it does. We are all children of a loving Heavenly Father and He wants us to return home to him one day. He has given us the tools to do so. The Gospel and the Church provides a way for me to be with my family forever. I want that and I will do all I can in my life to make sure I qualify for it. Everybody has that same opportunity so I am no better than anyone else. I want to teach my son to love the Savior. I will bear my testimony to him and show him by example how eternally important the Gospel is. I know it is true with all my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this Alison. It really hit home with me today. I totally understand how frustraiting it is to see someone turn away from something you hold in your heart. So thank you for reminding me its all about the "why"

    ReplyDelete