Friday, June 1, 2012

More Than Just Recognize

I would be lying if I said I've been Positive Polly these last few months. I know with all the immigration trials I've had to deal with, it's made me a lot less patient with other things that don't pan out smoothly. Well I decided that I need to actively try to change my outlook on life. Recently I've embraced technology  to help me keep on top of scripture study and I'm already noticing the blessings that have come from it.

Thanks to the handy dandy Mormon Channel App and my smartphone, I've started listening to the scriptures. I made a choice to listen to it every morning (no exceptions) while I get ready for the day and it actually works out pretty well. So each morning I shower, then I've got at least a half an hour to listen while I do my make up and hair. I usually end up listening longer though because I feed Warren after I'm done getting ready. Listening to the scriptures is a lot less distracting for him while he eats as opposed to turning on the TV.

It has been a really wonderful experience so far. I'm proud of myself for making the decision to do it and that I'm sticking to it, and I also love that the insights that I've had in the past flood back to me. This last week I've gone through 1st and 2nd Nephi. I think what I'm going to do is go through the whole Book of Mormon to refresh my memory, then the next time I go through it I'll have a little sticky notes and a pen to keep track of my new insights, then transfer them to my scriptures.

One of the things that I've been thinking a lot about lately as a result of my new routine is how to make sure I stay positive despite my trials. It dawned on me that even though I've been having a terrible time with getting my green card, my washing machine, dishwasher, hair straightener, computer, new waterproof camera, etc., have all broken down at pretty much the same time, they've all been able to be fixed or replaced for free (with the exception of my computer but it was fixed for an affordable-ish price). I hoped that because I realized that was the pattern, that things would finally stop breaking down. I was telling a family friend about this last night and he told me that recognizing these things isn't enough. Now I have to work on being more grateful for the blessing of things being fixed than I am annoyed that it had to happen in the first place. Not quite there yet, but I'm working on it.

My testimony of the scriptures is growing more each day, and I'm finding more peace too. I even find myself going on walks with Warren and instead of listening to music, I'll listen to Conference talks and gospel discussions. The scriptures are increasing my desire for spiritual nourishment. This is helping to put me in a better place. I know I have a lot of improvement to do, but at least I know I'm on the right path.




1 comment:

  1. That's truly wonderful Alison! The scriptures and prayer are my lifelines right now. 143 Mom

    ReplyDelete