Sunday, September 18, 2011

Progress

I've been checking my email like a mad woman this week because my interview for the green card was supposed to be scheduled this week. To my delight, the email finally came on Wednesday!! I have an interview scheduled for October 24th!!!!! WOOT!!!!! So that means that this whole process will come to a long awaited end and I can finally look forward to being with my husband PERMANENTLY.

It's still quite the process though. Not only do I have to go to Montreal (because it's the only Consulate that does Immigrant interviews), but I have to get a medical exam beforehand. I knew that was coming, but what I didn't know is that the medical exam can only be done by "authorized physicians". I thought that all physicians would be authorized to do a medical exam, but apparently they have physicians that are specifically authorized by the Consulate to do medical exams for immigrant purposes. Here's the kicker... THERE'S ONLY FOUR OF THEM IN ALL OF CANADA... There's one in Vancouver, one in Toronto and two in Montreal. So I called one of the ones in Montreal hoping that I could get the medical exam right before the interview and have the results in time so I wouldn't have to make more than one trip. Thankfully they were pretty accommodating, but it extends the trip to Montreal from only a couple days to a whole week.

The soonest they could get me in for the medical exam was Tuesday October 18. The results will be ready for me to pick up three days later on Friday, and then I have to wait through the weekend for my interview on Monday the 24th at 8:00 AM.

Sure it's slightly inconvenient to have to be gone for a whole week, but my mom and possibly my aunt are coming with me so it'll end up being a lot of fun. Especially having Warren around and being able to take him out on walks and stuff. The plane ride with him will be interesting though. haha. good thing he's a good sleeper, and not a loud crier.

After the interview, if they're satisfied, I'll get all the paperwork right there that'll allow me to go to the States right away. The only other thing that I have to do afterward is get Warren's US passport. I have to wait until after the interview to do that though. To get his passport I need to show them the original copy of my marriage certificate which I had to send to the Montreal Consulate a while ago. I'll get it back after the interview. So once I get back from Montreal, I have to take Warren to Calgary to the Consulate there to apply for his US passport. Yeah... They don't make this easy. Every Consulate does everything by appointment so I can't just get everything done for me and him in Montreal. I'll try though. If I end up taking Warren with me to the interview, I wonder if they'll just let me apply for it right there... But I highly doubt it, considering they like to do everything the long and difficult way. So I'm just anticipating having to go to Calgary. That's less of a big deal than Montreal though, so I'm not overly annoyed by having to drive the three hours. Warren will sleep the whole way anyway.

Once his passport comes, then it's home free!! I'll finally be able to go to Colorado and stay there and NEVER have to anticipate being separated from Ray for a long period of time EVER AGAIN. So by November, all of this will finally be over for good! A year and a half of all this craziness is almost over and our family will be whole again. Forever.

3 comments:

  1. Why does he need a passport? Children under 16 do not need passports to cross to the US. Just a birth certificate. He doesn't need oneto get his "born abroad" papers either from what I remember. Cngrats on the interview! I am so happy for you but will miss being your VT companion! Thank goodness for Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe the crazy long process it takes just to get a green card!! I am soooo glad it is almost over for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He needs his passport to prove his US citizenship. Then they can't hassle me about immigration stuff for him. I know. It's lame... But I'm pretty sure they changed it so that you need a passport to cross the border anyway..

    ReplyDelete