Monday, August 8, 2011

The Universe Has Conspired

I've been an avid concert goer since my teenage years. I kinda stopped going so often to concerts (rock concerts mostly) in the last couple years because as I've grown up, it seems that the rest of the crowd at the shows haven't. Concert goers these days are still teenagers, and a lot less courteous. The mosh pit/concert in general edequette is a lost art. In all honesty, I feel out of place at shows now. But every once and a while there are bands that come to town that I wouldn't miss for the life of me. Those are the shows where I know the crowd is gonna be awesome, or the band is so amazing themselves that I will find a way to deal with the annoying people around me. haha.

This is where the Universe has conspired against me...

November 1. Ed's Event Center..... JACK'S MANNEQUIN



November 15. Jubilee Theater..... MATTHEW GOOD (who is a new parent himself)



Now. To most of you this means absolutely nothing. But to me, this is as good as it gets. I've driven 12 hours to Vancouver to see Jack's Mannequin OPEN for some band that I'd never heard of, and I've seen Matthew Good an embarrassing amount of times because he's just that amazing. Both of these bands are on the top of my favorite list.

So if this is so amazing, why does this mean that the Universe has conspired??? Well... The Universe waited until I would be a brand new parent to bring these two most amazing concerts at the same time. It's not like I can just leave for a whole night when I have a two month old to take care of. That child needs to eat and that'll be my exclusive job! Don't get me wrong. I have no resentment towards being a parent and having to figure out how to balance parental responsibilities with social activities. I just didn't expect to be confronted with this so early on.

My mom says it shouldn't be that big of a deal because the baby can still use a bottle, but then there's the issue of filling it. She says that I could pump, and if that doesn't work, using formula on the odd occasion isn't the end of the world. But in my naive world of never being a parent, I have an idealistic view of exclusively breastfeeding so I'm slightly hesitant with the idea of the occasional formula feed. But in my realistic world, I know that's not the worst thing ever. In the end, my mom is the expert in the childcare world so I believe her when she says I just need to wait and see what my baby is like and then make decisions from there.

Of the two concerts, I'm most hesitant about going to the Jack's Mannequin show just because it's not an organized, chaos free environment like the Matthew Good show will be. So because of that, I've already committed to going to Matthew Good. haha. By then my baby will be two and a half months old, and I'm pretty sure I'll have figured things out as far as the feeding issue goes. Going to that show also means I'll be sitting in a comfortable theater chair and I won't be standing in a huge crowd of sweaty people pushing me around. That's why I'm slightly afraid to go to Jack's Mannequin. So I've decided to just wait and see how my body feels and what my baby's like before committing myself to going to that show as well.

Who knows. Maybe my baby will have some psychic connection with me so he'll understand my love of concerts and be the most cooperitive baby ever. The payoff will be my kid being the coolest kid ever, and coming with me to shows when he's old enough (wearing ear protection of course).

3 comments:

  1. Who will be wearing the ear protection? You or him? Hahaha! I have never been to a concert in my whole life and I am dying to see Josh Groban! He is coming here next month! So I kind of know how you feel, but not completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't be so worried about the feeding as I would be the noise level! Babies tend to shut down if their senses get overloaded, lots of people think they're just sleeping through it all, but really their little bodies can't handle the stimulation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't be taking my baby to a concert right away! I was thinking I would do that when he's a few years old. Then he could actually appreciate the experience. But until then, I'm hoping he'll be a cooperative baby who will let me go out every once and a while. haha.. If not, such is life I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete