Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I have a hobby!!!!

So Ray decided to pick up long boarding. He'd talked about it a few times before we got married, but he became really serious about it after our wedding. When we arrived back in Canada, and got settled in our awesome basement suite, it seemed his favorite thing became looking at long boards online on kijiji and craigslist. Ray ended up finding a sweet deal on one that some high school kid was selling. He got everything except the wheels for $100. He was giddy. I laughed. I didn't really share the same excitement though... but whatever. He was happy. haha... Then he ordered some wheels online and once they came, he was hooked. Conveniently for him, my little brother Ian is way into long boarding too, so they started going together and I kinda felt left out... However, long boarding is something I am not interested in taking up. I'm not one for adrenaline rushes... I like safe things. I'm okay with Ray going long boarding as long as I don't really know what he does. haha... I like having my husband alive. Anyways... So he would go out and I would just chill at home, and I didn't like that at all! I was totally jealous that he had a hobby that he was so passionate about! I wanted something like that so I could have my own fun too.

A few months ago I was really into swimming so Ray suggested that I get back into that several times, but I resisted because it cost money and it's kind of a pain to get all showered afterwards, then come home at night and then I didn't know if I should shower again in the morning. I think my excuse was just that it just threw off my morning routine or something. haha. I know... Lame... I started looking into it though, and found out that there was an incredible deal on memberships for the recreation centers here. For $43 a month, I could get full access to all the recreation centers in the city! That includes going to the pools to swim as well as being able to participate in drop-in fitness programs. The decision was made. I was doing it. haha! I went after work on Monday and got the pass. Seriously... This is awesome!! There's something like 15 recreation centers here throughout the city and I can go to all of them!! If I didn't have this pass, it would cost $8 each time I went. haha. Okay so maybe I've gone a little salesman on this whole recreation center pass thing... BUT I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT!!!!!

I went swimming on Monday night when Ray went long boarding with Ian, and I had such a good time! I remembered why I loved swimming and how great it makes me feel when I'm done. Don't worry. I figured out the morning routine the next day. haha.

Last night I went again, but this time to a fitness class. It was a step aerobics class. Now I should have thought this out a little bit more before I went... My best friend, Randi and I have been known to do work out videos together. It's tons of fun and everything, but I am terribly uncoordinated... When there's fast steps, I just don't follow... I have heavy feet or something because I cannot for the LIFE of me keep up!! Randi would always have to show me the steps super slow and THEN I could keep up, but if it weren't for her, I'd be completely lost.

So here I was last night in this step aerobics class, with this loud work out music pumping and a crazy Asian instructor that YELLED at us to "keep going!!" "you're doing GRRRREAT!!!!!" "KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!! HARRRRRRRD!!!!!!!!" She was intense!! 15 minutes into the class I was LOST! Everyone else in the class seemed to know exactly what they were doing. Even the old lady in the corner was keeping up with the crazy Asian instructor... That sure didn't help with my self esteem... The instructor was calling out all these steps. Mambo, Cha Cha, half step, EXPLODE!!!, obstruction??? Man... If I wasn't lost already, I sure was now! What is the difference between a mambo and a cha cha anyways?? And how do you do it with a step??? Yeesh... I never figured that one out. There were some core exercises after all the confusing stuff, and I could keep up with that because it was slow. We were just holding ourselves up in a plank the whole time... which wasn't the most enjoyable thing of my life... The class is supposedly for "all fitness levels" but after all the ridiculous foot work that I didn't understand, and the 10 minute plank, it left me questioning whether that statement was actually true or not. haha...

I made it through the class though, and I am not discouraged. I have an awesome membership pass that I'm super excited about and there's tons of different classes I can try out! This first experience is not my last. I wanna check out the yoga one next. I know I can do that... ... ... Well... I can keep up.. Whether or not I can DO it is a completely different thing. haha... This is a fun adventure and I'm excited to keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment