Monday, August 11, 2014

Good Things!! Finally!!! Good Things!!!

They aren't kidding when they say that babies get sick fast, but they also get better fast. Little Lucas has improved by leaps and bounds in the last two days. Draining that cyst in the liver seems to have been the key. They kept on getting less and less fluid out of it, so today it was decided that they weren't pulling enough out anymore for the drain to be necessary and they removed it! His color has gotten better and he's nice and pink. His liver function labs are also within acceptable range now. Such a huge relief.

His ventilator was removed on Saturday and is currently on CPAP, which is basically what people with sleep apnea use. It's forcing air into his nose and reminding him to breathe. He's been on the ventilator for a week so they're weaning him off of the  That should be the next thing to go, so hopefully by tomorrow night he will be off the ventilator machine completely.

Another bit of good news is that all his IV's are out! He still has the central line, but his hands are finally all free. As of now, the only medications he's receiving are his antibiotics and his nutrition fluids. That's huge!!! He was getting so many drugs and now he's not! They even stopped his pain meds. He gets a dose just before the nurses do anything to him to keep him calm, but other than that, he's managing just fine. He's able to sleep and he seems pretty comfortable. 

Lucas has also started feeding again. They are giving him 3mL every four hours. It's going to stay there for a little bit and eventually they will start slowly increasing his feeds. Also, despite the traumatic week Lucas has had to go through, he has gained weight! He is now a hefty 3lbs 6oz. He needs to keep that up, and I don't think it will be a problem. 

So the nurses are talking like he will be off the CPAP machine in the morning. If that is the case, it's looking good that I'll be able to hold him tomorrow. I am pretty sure I need it more than Lucas does. Tomorrow sure can't come soon enough if that's what's going to happen. I sure hope it does. 

The nurses are also saying that by the end of his six week treatment of antibiotics, he will be 37 weeks and very possibly able to come home right after his last dose. Pretty sure that will be one of the happiest days of my life. I already told Ray that I'm not putting him down or letting anyone else hold him until I'm good and ready to share the little dude once he's home. Haha. 

So. Things are definitely on the up swing. I'm so relieved and I feel like I can breathe again. What a crazy week it has been. I'm definitely glad it's over and I'm ready to never have to go through that again. Each day my little boy is getting better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment